International Students & Permanent Residents


Wilson Community College is NOT authorized to issue I-20 documents, and as such cannot be a destination institution for international students wishing to come to the U.S. for purposes of continuing their education. Such students are authorized to visit the U.S. on a temporary basis to attend a specific college or university on an F, M, or J visa. In such cases, the college they are attending must make regular reports to the US Department of Homeland Security’s Immigration and Customs Service through the SEVIS system. Wilson Community College is NOT authorized to admit such students for study.

Non-citizens who have been given Permanent Resident status are considered the same as citizens for enrollment and financial aid purposes. The College is also allowed to enroll some non-citizen students who are not Permanent Residents who are visiting the U.S., depending on the type of visa they hold. In addition to admissions procedures described elsewhere, international students must meet with an admissions counselor prior to enrolling in order to document their legal status. Any non-U.S. citizen who applies for admission to the College must submit certified transcripts of all secondary and college coursework with notarized English translation. College transcripts from countries other than the United States must be translated and evaluated by an independent company that provides such services to international students. Otherwise, no college credit may be given. For contact information for such companies, please see the Director of Admissions/Registrar.

Again depending on the type of visa, some non-citizen students have the capacity to qualify for in-state residency for tuition purposes. A non-resident of the United States who has resided in NC for a 12-month qualifying period and who has filed an immigrant petition with the United States INS may be considered a state resident for tuition purposes if they:

For more information on enrollment of international students, contact the Dean of Student Development.

Foreign National Information System

Pursuant to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and regulations of the Internal Revenue Service and the state of North Carolina, the College is required to collect information required on the Foreign National Information System for non-U.S. citizens who are employees, vendors, contractors, or students at the College. This information will be used to determine if any wages, payments, scholarships, or financial aid paid by or through the College is taxable and to withhold appropriate taxes and report and submit those taxes to the appropriate state and/or federal agency. Financial aid or scholarship funds awarded to such a student that was in excess of their actual cost of attendance is, in some cases, taxable. Necessary information may include copies of permanent resident cards, passports, visas, I-94 cards, I-797 cards, I-20 cards, DS-2019 documentation and any Employment Authorization Cards. No information collected will be used to make admissions or academic decisions. If you have questions regarding the collection or use of such information, please contact the Dean of Student Development.


Undocumented Students

Undocumented students may enroll in Career and College Promise program courses and non-college credit courses including Adult Basic Education, GED, Adult High School, English Language Program, or other continuing education courses not considered to be for college credit.

The NC Administrative Code changed as of July 10, 2010, to allow NC community colleges to admit undocumented immigrants into curriculum programs of study effective Fall Semester 2010. However, such students:

When considering whether to admit an undocumented immigrant into a specific program of study, community colleges shall take into account that federal law prohibits states from granting professional licenses to undocumented immigrants.

Continue orientation