Wilson Community College uses the Reinforced Instruction for Student Excellence (RISE) placement test administered via computer. The purpose of the placement test is to ensure students are accurately placed in English and math courses. All parts of the placement tests are untimed.
Only applicants who do not meet one of the following criteria will be required to take the RISE placement test as part of the admissions process:
- Graduated from a US High School within the last 10 years.
- Earned developmental course credit within the last 10 years.
- Successfully completed a college-level (gateway) English or math course.
- Completed an eligible placement test within the last 10 years.
- Earned an associate degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution.
It is very important to adequately prepare for the placement test. For more information on the format and content of the RISE placement test please review the RISE Placement Test Preparation Guide. A scientific calculator and formula sheet will be provided for the math portion of the placement test. One repeat attempt is allowed for each tier of the placement test. The repeat attempt must be scheduled at least 30 days after the first attempt.
Placement test appointments can be made by calling Student Development at 252-246-1281. All appointments will be scheduled for 9:00 a.m. on the date of the test. If accommodations for disability services are required, please contact Jesse Sykes, Special Populations Counselor, at 252-246-1230. Please allow up to two weeks for accommodations to be arranged. There is not a cost associated with taking the placement test. Be sure to bring a photo ID (i.e. driver’s license).