Students who enroll at Wilson Community College may be exempt from English, reading, and math placement testing if all of the following are true:
- The applicant is admitted and registers for classes within five (5) years from the high school graduation date (accredited high school).
- The applicant has an unweighted high school GPA of 2.6 or higher.
- The applicant has successfully completed four (4) high school math courses including Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and at least one higher level math course as recognized by North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. See list below.
- Placement for students who apply before they graduate from high school will be based on their high school GPA at the end of the fall semester of their senior year. Transcripts from students who graduated from a regionally accredited high school located outside of North Carolina but who enroll at the College within five years of high school graduation will be evaluated based on the same standard as North Carolina graduates.
Eligible 4th High School Math Courses for Multiple Measures
High School 4th Math Courses:
- Advanced Functions and Modeling
- Analytical Geometry
- AP Statistics
- Discrete Mathematics
- Essentials for College Math (SREB – Math Ready)
- Integrated Mathematics IV
- International Baccalaureate Mathematics
- Probability & Statistics
Community College 4th Math Courses (Taken in Career & College Promise Pathways):
- MAT 143 (Quantitative Literacy)
- MAT 151 (Statistics I)
- MAT 152 (Statistical Methods I)
- MAT 155 (Statistical Analysis)
- MAT 161 (College Algebra)
- MAT 162 (College Trigonometry)
- MAT 165 (Finite Mathematics)
- MAT 167 (Discrete Mathematics)
- MAT 171 (Pre-Calculus Algebra)
- MAT 172 (Pre-Calculus Trigonometry)
- MAT 175 (Pre-Calculus)
- MAT 200 or above
Approved by the State Board of Community Colleges on March 21, 2014 Revised August 2015
Students who enroll at Wilson Community College may be exempt from English, reading, and/or math placement testing if the following SAT or ACT scores are met. The test scores are valid only when the applicant is admitted and enrolls into a curriculum program within five (5) years from the test date:
- SAT Scores:
- Math: 500
- English: 500 or Reading: 500
- ACT Scores:
- Math: 22
- English: 18 or Reading: 20
Previous Placement Testing
Accuplacer, Asset, NC DAP and Compass placement test scores from other recognized institutions may be accepted. Placement test scores are valid for five (5) years from the date of the assessment until the date of enrolling in the designated course, and are not used to exempt curriculum level courses.
Applicants who have earned college level credit from an accredited institution for math and English courses may be exempted from corresponding sections of placement testing if the course(s) are transferable and, in some cases, are no more than five (5) years old. Transferability and time limits are subject to review by the Registrar, the Academic Dean, and the instructor(s).