two wilson community college graduates
  • Paying for College

Paying for College

Student Aid Resource GuideWilson Community College offers financial aid programs to provide assistance to any student who would be unable to continue his/her education without aid. Financial aid is awarded on the basis of financial need as determined by The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

FAFSA Application Tips

  • Students can complete the FAFSA online, or fill out a paper version available in the Financial Aid office.
  • It may take up to 4-6 weeks to process the FAFSA application.
  • A new FAFSA application must be submitted each year.
  • Students will receive an email from upon submitting the FAFSA application.
  • It make take up to a month for our college financial aid office to receive the results. The College will send you a letter and/or email upon receipt.
  • Additional documentation may be needed to determine eligibility.

Be sure to list the Wilson Community College school code on your application #004845 and complete the application which corresponds to your enrollment semester:

Requirements to Receive Financial Aid


All of the following must be met in order for a student to receive financial aid.

  1. Student must qualify via the FAFSA application.
  2. Student must submit any requested documentation.
  3. Student must be admitted to Wilson Community College into an eligible program of study.
  4. Student must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
  5. Student must not be on any type of SAP (satisfactory academic progress) suspension.

The Financial Aid Office uses college email to notify students of pertinent information affecting their financial aid status. Award letter notifications and Satisfactory Academic Progress letters are among the many types of information that may be emailed to students.

Explore Other Types of Financial Aid


A variety of financial aid is available, including loans (must be repaid), grants and scholarships (do not have to be repaid), and work-study programs (students must work on campus).

Business Office

Make payment of tuition and fees, loans, and pick up refunds.

Veterans Services

Find financial aid information for veterans.

Direct Loan Program

Loans for student borrowers.

Direct Loan Plus Program

Loans for parent borrowers.

Federal Work Study Program

Earn money while taking classes.

In-House loans

Learn how Wilson CC can help you pay for college.


Explore opportunities to assist with educational expenses.


The WCC Foundation sponsors multiple scholarships for students.

Tuition and Fees

Check out how affordable it is to attend Wilson CC!

Online Verification Forms

Complete verification forms for financial aid.

CARES Act Application and Reporting

The federal CARES Act provides money for colleges to offer financial assistance to eligible students.

The College must calculate the amount of Federal and State aid that was not earned for the term. Unearned aid funds must be returned to the appropriate programs. In this case, students may be required to repay a portion of their award for the term to DOE, the school, and/or other agencies. Some examples of aid which fall under Federal or State categories are: Pell Grants, SEOG, NCELS, NCCCG, NC Reach, Federal TAP, and Direct Loans.

The return of funds are credited in the following order: Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, Subsidized Stafford Loans, Federal PLUS Loans, Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, and other Title IV funds for which a return of funds is required.

Return of Unearned Tuition Assistance Funds:

Wilson Community College enforces the following return of unearned funds for students receiving Military Tuition Assistance (TA) Funds. This is to comply with the DoD MOU, paragraph 4.f.(2)(d), for the return of unearned TA funds. The College returns any unearned TA funds on a proportional basis through at least the 60 percent portion of the enrollment period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending. In instances when a Service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, the College will work with the affected Service member to identify solutions that will not result in a student debt for the returned portion.

When a student receiving TA funds withdraws, the amount of the unearned TA return is based on the date the student stops attending. Once a student attends beyond the 60 percent point of the semester, TA is considered earned and no funds are returned to DoD.

The following are schedules for the return of TA funds based on 16-week and 8-week classes.

16-Week Courses Withdrawal Schedule:

Before or during week 1-2 100% return

During weeks 3-4 75% return

During weeks 5-8 50% return

During weeks 9-10 40% return (60% of course is completed)

During weeks 11-16 0% return

8-Week Courses Withdrawal Schedule:

Before or during week 1: 100% return

During week 2: 75% return

During week 3-4: 50% return

During week 5: 40% return (60% of course is completed)

During week 6-8: 0% return

For courses that are not 16 or 8 weeks in duration, the College returns the unearned TA on a prorated basis. The amount of TA earned is determined by calculating the amount of time the student was enrolled (based on the last date of attendance), divided by the number of days in the term.

Example: A student was enrolled in a class that was 30 days in duration. The last day of attendance was on the 15th day of the term. The College would calculate the amount of TA earned dividing 15 by 30. In this example the student earned 50 percent of the funds, with the remaining unearned 50 percent to be returned.

Per DoD MOU: The College returns any TA Program funds directly to the Military Service, not to the Service member, up to the start date. The returns all TA funds to the Military Service when the member does not begin attendance or does not start the class. Any TA funds paid for a course that is cancelled by the college are returned to the Military Service.

Wilson Community College offers a variety of state and federal grants. In order for the Financial Aid Department to evaluate eligibility, students must complete a current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA application can be completed online at or students can obtain a paper application in the Financial Aid Department. Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as stated in the catalog to receive federal or state aid. Examples of such aid are Pell, NCCCG, ELS, FWS & Direct Loans. The grants offered through Wilson Community College include:


Federal Pell Grant awards range each school year as determined by Congress. These awards generally do not have to be repaid. However, students who withdraw from all coursework prior to the 60% point of the term (as stated in the Academic Calendar) will typically owe a pro-rated amount of Pell (Title IV) to the Department of Education (DOE). Failure to repay an overpayment will result in loss of Title IV aid eligibility.

The College must calculate the amount of Title IV (Federal) aid that was not earned for the term. Unearned Title IV aid funds must be returned to the Title IV program. In this case, students may be required to repay a portion of their Pell award for the term to DOE and/or the school.

Pell disbursements are based on current hours for classes in approved program of study. Checks will be disbursed initially for those who are eligible and in attendance. Subsequent disbursements for adjusted amounts or for those students whose eligibility is verified during the semester will be made as soon as possible after verifying documentation has been received.

Students are limited to one course repeat if it is being taken to improve the grade. In addition, enrollment in remedial/developmental coursework is limited to 30 credit hours. Courses taken outside the repeat & remedial limit will not be considered in the enrollment status for Grant disbursement. Awards will be prorated for enrollment status less than full-time if eligible according to the Federal Pell Grant Disbursement Schedule.

Pell checks are mailed once funds are posted to the account. The following is an estimated schedule for initial disbursements.

  • Fall Semester – September 18
  • Spring Semester – February 20
  • Summer Semester – June 19

Eligible students may receive a Pell Grant twice in an academic year if they are full-time both terms. If a student registers less than full-time in a given term, the remaining Pell eligibility can be used in the summer. For Wilson Community College, the Fall Semester is the beginning of a new financial aid academic year and requires a new FAFSA application.

**We advise all students to visit with a financial aid representative before withdrawing from any course. **


The North Carolina Scholarship Grant provides need-based assistance for North Carolina residents attending a community college. All students who submit a FAFSA application for federal aid will automatically be considered for the grant. There are no summer semester disbursements for NC Scholarship Grant funds. Availability of funds is contingent on funding from the state legislature, and are subject to state semester limitations. To be considered for the NC Scholarship Grant, a student must:

  • Complete the FAFSA and list Wilson Community College on the FAFSA application.
  • Be a NC resident for tuition purposes.
  • Enroll on at least a half-time basis.
  • Maintain institutional standards for satisfactory academic progress.
  • Be enrolled in an eligible program of study. Awards will be prorated for less than full-time enrollment, if eligible.


The 1999 North Carolina General Assembly allocated $5 million to provide need-based assistance for community college students. To be considered, students must have completed a current FAFSA application, be enrolled at least half-time and be a NC resident for tuition purposes. Although these grants are typically a free type of assistance failing to complete the term may leave students owing a balance.


The North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship is similar to the NCCCG. Eligibility is determined based on the current year FAFSA application, as well as student’s enrollment status. Withdrawing may leave students owing a balance.


Awards are based on financial need and academic promise. These grants are available to a limited number of students and eligibility is established by the Financial Aid Department. Wilson Community College requires SEOG recipients to maintain a 2.7 or higher cumulative grade point average. SEOG grants do not generally have to be repaid. However, if students withdraw prior to the 60% point of the term they may owe a prorated amount of their award to DOE and the college.

For additional information on these or any grants, please visit the Financial Aid Department located in Building F, or by telephone at 252-246-1417.

On July 12th, 2018, Governor Cooper announced the Finish Line Grant program that will help students complete their education when facing unforeseen challenges. Effective October 1, 2022, the administration of this program shifted from the Department of Commerce to the NC Community College System (NCCCS). In partnership with NCCCS and Wilson Community College, students who have completed at least 25% of their program of study and are in good academic standing can apply for the grant. Approval is subject to eligibility and the availability of funds. Effective October 1, 2022, the Governor’s Office funding source is the Emergency Assistance to Non-Public Schools (EANS).

Guidelines to Apply

  • Unanticipated financial emergency (short-term hardship that impacts student’s ability to complete a degree/certification)
  • Currently enrolled Curriculum and Continuing Education students are eligible
    • 25% of curriculum degree, certificate, or diploma program completed (including current semester)
    • Must be in good academic standing - minimum 2.0 GPA
    • Cost of Attendance (COA) not exceeded (Curriculum)
  • Limited up to $1,000, per student per semester.

Examples of Qualifying Events

  • Rent (No past due bills)
  • Auto Repair -sudden lack of transportation due to a car accident or unexpected mechanical problems
  • Loss of books/supplies after initial purchase, due to natural disaster, fire, or theft
  • Financial emergency preventing the payment of a current utility bill (water, gas, and electric)
  • Internet (if bundled, will only pay for internet service-not cable TV/phone) invoice must be itemized to isolate internet service
  • Child/dependent care-if student is participating in clinicals, labs, in-class instruction, or worksite learning
  • Medical/dental/vision care that impacts the ability for a student to complete a degree/certification
  • Utilities-water, gas, and electric bill (No past due bills)

Examples of Expenditures Not Allowed

  • No asset payments: laptops, phones, car payments, mortgage payments, property taxes, and/or tax payments
  • Renter insurance/rental deposits
  • Court fees, penalties, and/or late fees
  • Student account debt of a person attempting to return to college
  • No past due bills (Bills must be current)

Next Steps

  1. Complete the Finish Line Grant Application if you think you may meet the above guidelines.
  2. Once your eligibility has been verified, you will receive an email with the next steps.
  3. If approved, payment will be processed within three business days of receiving all required documentation.
  4. Student will be notified when payment is ready.
  5. Funds will not be distributed directly to the student but to the entity that will provide the service for the student.

Questions? Contact:

Joy Moore

Joy Moore

Financial Aid Coordinator

Department: Financial Aid

Phone: (252) 246-1417


Office: F105b

Wilson Community College offers the Child Care Assistance program to student-parents in order to contribute to their daycare expenses while enrolled at our institution. We encourage all interested curriculum student-parents to complete the application and submit it to the Financial Aid Office.

Child Care Assistance Application opens new window

The Child Care Coordinator evaluates each individual applicant based on results from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (

For more information on Wilson Community College’s Child Care Assistance Program, call: 252-246-1274.

Federal regulations require all institutions of higher education to establish minimum standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) that students must meet in order to receive financial assistance from Title IV programs. Institutions are further required to establish a qualitative and quantitative measure SAP.

SAP standards apply to all federal (Title IV) and state awarded funds. In order to maintain eligibility, students must meet SAP standards adopted by the College based on guidelines set by the US Department of Education.

Once final grades have been posted at the end of each semester, an evaluation will be performed to determine the student’s SAP standing. To remain in good academic standing and to be eligible to receive financial aid, a student must meet the following conditions:

  1. Qualitative Satisfactory Academic Progress – Qualitative satisfactory academic progress for financial aid eligibility is determined by grade point average (GPA). WCC identifies two GPA measures – an academic GPA and a financial aid GPA. The difference between the two types of GPAs is:
    *The academic GPA does not include grades earned in developmental courses.
    *The financial aid GPA does include grades earned in developmental courses.
    NOTE: A student must maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA each semester
    ; otherwise, he or she will be placed on Financial Aid GPA Warning. During the semester of warning, the student will receive financial aid and must re-establish a 2.0 GPA by meeting the cumulative GPA requirement by the end of the semester of warning. If a student has not re-established the cumulative GPA requirement after one semester of warning, he or she will be placed on Financial Aid GPA Suspension and ALL forms of federal and state financial aid to the student will be suspended. Students will be notified when being placed on Financial Aid GPA Warning or Suspension
  2. Quantitative Satisfactory Academic Progress
    There are two methods of measuring quantitative SAP:
    Pace of Progression – 67% Rule – 
    A student must pass two-thirds or 67% of their cumulative attempted hours at the College each semester; otherwise he or she will be placed on Financial Aid SAP Warning. During the semester of warning, the student will receive financial aid and must re-establish SAP by meeting the 67% cumulative passing requirement.If a student has not reestablished SAP after one semester of warning, the student will be placed on Financial Aid SAP Suspension and ALL forms of federal and state financial aid to the student will be suspended. Students will be notified when being placed on Financial Aid SAP Warning or Suspension.Maximum Time Frame (MTF) – 150% Rule – Per federal mandate, a student will be allowed to receive financial assistance until the student has (a) attempted a maximum of 150% of the hours required to complete his/her chosen degree, diploma, or certificate OR (b) until the Financial Aid Office determines it is not mathematically possible for a student to complete his or her program within the MTF.The Financial Aid Office may review a student’s record at any time if they suspect that a student will not be able to complete their program within the time limit. A warning letter will be issued to a student upon attempting 120% of the hours required for their program. However, if it is not mathematically possible for a student to complete his or her program within the MTF, he or she will be placed on Financial Aid MTF Suspension and ALL forms of federal and state financial aid to the student will be suspended. Students will be notified when being placed on Financial Aid warning or MTF suspension.

Appeals: A student who would like to appeal their SAP suspension may see the Director of Financial Aid for a SAP appeal form. Appeals can only be considered in the event of a mitigating circumstance which occurred during the term when the SAP standards were not met. A student should attach documentation to support their appeal.

For more information contact:

Shannon Bain

Shannon Bain

Director of Financial Aid & Veteran's Affairs

Department: Financial Aid

Phone: (252) 246-1274


Office: F105a

Darrah Lane

Darrah Lane

Financial Aid Receptionist

Department: Financial Aid

Phone: (252) 246-1344


Office: F105c

Joy Moore

Joy Moore

Financial Aid Coordinator

Department: Financial Aid

Phone: (252) 246-1417


Office: F105b

Scroll to Top

Severe Weather Alert

Due to the threat of severe weather, the college will be closed on Friday, September 7, 2023.