Financial Aid

Financial Aid2019-04-15T14:09:16-04:00

Lisa Baker

Director of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs

Department: Financial Aid

Phone: (252) 246-1310


Office: F105d

Candace Brewer

Financial Aid Assistant Director/Loan Officer

Department: Financial Aid

Phone: (252) 246-1417


Office: F105b

Attention Students: If you are applying for Financial Aid for Spring 2019 or Summer 2019, be sure to complete the 2018-19 FAFSA application.

Financial aid programs provide assistance to any student who, without aid, would be unable to continue his/her education. Financial aid is awarded on the basis of FINANCIAL NEED as determined by The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), a national need-analysis system. Plan ahead, as it takes 4-6 weeks to process this application. Students interested in electronic transfer must have all necessary documents and schedule an appointment. A new application must be submitted each year. Students/applicants can access the free application for federal student aid on the college link (FAFSA) to complete an online version of the forms. This typically reduces the turn-around time to 3 – 10 days.

You should receive an email from the processors upon submitting the application. However, it generally takes about 5 days for our office to receive the results. We will send you a letter/email upon receipt. Additional documentation may be needed to determine eligibility.

Be sure to list our school code on your application #004845 and complete the application which corresponds to your enrollment:

  • 2018-19 FAFSA for Fall 2018, Spring 2019, or Summer 2019

A variety of financial aid is available, including loans, which must be repaid, grants and scholarships, which do not have to be repaid, and work-study, which involves students working on campus. Veteran’s benefits, Vocational Rehabilitation, JTPA, Department of Labor, and other forms of aid are also available.

To receive Title IV aid or state aid students must qualify via the FAFSA application, submit any requested documentation, be admitted to Wilson Community College into an eligible program of study, have a high school diploma or equivalent and not be on any type of SAP suspension.

The Financial Aid Office uses campus emails to notify students of pertinent information affecting their financial aid status. Award letter notifications and Satisfactory Academic Progress letters are among many types of information emailed to students. Students may opt for paper notification by logging on to Web Advisor and selecting “Opt In”.

The Financial Aid Department offers numerous scholarships throughout the academic year. Scholarships are awarded to assist students in educational expenses while enrolled at Wilson Community College. These scholarships are funded by various resources including:

  • The State of North Carolina
  • Local non-profit organizations and businesses
  • Community members
  • Wilson Community College Alumni

The annual application for the WCC general scholarships is posted on our main webpage during the months of July and August of each year. The Financial Aid and Awards Committee grant these scholarships during their annual meeting. The scholarships awarded have different criteria; these criteria include, but are not limited to:

  • GPA
  • Program Major
  • County of Residence
  • Enrollment Status
  • Financial Need

Several other scholarships are offered throughout each semester. As they become available, information is posted on the homepage, as well as in the Financial Aid Department.

The College participates in the William D Ford Federal Direct Loan Program* and offers loans as a part of a student’s Financial Aid package. This program will provide Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized loans to students to be used for authorized educational expenses while enrolled at Wilson Community College.

Grant eligibility for the student must be determined first by completing a FAFSA on and all follow-up paperwork with the Financial Aid office. Subsidized loans are based on need and repayment will begin 6 months after graduation or when the student is no longer enrolled a minimum of half-time.  The interest is subsidized by the government as long as the student is enrolled a minimum of half-time.

Unsubsidized loans are not based on need. Interest starts to accrue immediately and will capitalize of not paid monthly.   Payments can be deferred with half-time enrollment.

Interest rates on all Direct Loans are determined by the Department of Education each year. (3.76% effective 7/1/16).  An origination fee is also charged and is determined by the Department of Education each year. (1.069% effective 7/1/16)

The following chart shows the annual and aggregate limits for subsidized and unsubsidized loans:
Year Dependent Students (except students whose parents are unable to obtain PLUS Loans) Independent Students
First-Year Undergraduate Annual Loan Limit 32 credits or less earned $5,500—No more than $3,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. $9,500—No more than $3,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.
Second-Year Undergraduate Annual Loan Limit 33 credits or more earned $6,500—No more than $4,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. $10,500—No more than $4,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.
Subsidized and Unsubsidized Aggregate Loan Limit $31,000—No more than $23,000 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. $57,500 for undergraduates—No more than $23,000 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.


The first disbursement of loan funds in each semester will be after the Pell Grant and State Grant refunds have been processed. The following is an ESTIMATED schedule for initial disbursements.

  • Fall Semester – October 2
  • Spring Semester – March 1
  • Summer Semester – July 3

Then, loan disbursements for remaining eligible students will be processed on a weekly basis until the end of the semester.


  1. Transferring mid-year:  Submit a non-returnable copy of the letter from the school you’ll attend that clearly states your acceptance into that school for the following term; or
  2. Graduating mid-year:  Submit a non-returnable letter from your faculty advisor that confirms that you have completed the courses and have registered for the appropriate classes this semester to graduate at the end of the semester.
  3. Summer only loans – When a student has not received a loan at this College during the Fall or Spring semesters.


All students who receive a student loan at Wilson Community College must complete Exit Counseling when they drop below half time, graduate or leave the college due to withdrawal. Students who leave the College without completing exit counseling are at a higher risk of defaulting on their loans.  Be in the know about your loans and complete Exit Counseling!

Click on the link below to complete the requirement online


If you have received a student loan while in school, you will go into repayment on that loan at some point. Click on the link below to learn more about loan repayment.

More information on this type of aid and the steps to accept as a part of a Financial Aid package can be obtained on the Direct Loan page.

The Direct PLUS Loan provides funds borrowed by the parent on behalf of the dependent student (as defined by the Department of Education) for authorized educational expenses while attending Wilson Community College.  This loan is based on credit worthiness, is to be repaid by the parent at a rate determined by the Department of Education, whom will also charge an origination fee. Repayment will begin within 60 days of disbursement.

The dependent child (student) must be enrolled at least one-half time (excluding the maximum of remedial classes), in an acceptable degree/diploma program, not be on any  type of  Financial Aid Suspension, or deemed ineligible due to the 150% maximum timeframe. The child (student) must complete the FAFSA at The parent’s personal information and financial information must be on the (child’s) student FAFSA. Grant eligibility for the child (student) must be determined prior to loan determination.

If a Parent wishes to apply for the Direct PLUS Loan, please continue to: Direct PLUS Loan for the Parent Borrower

The College must calculate the amount of Federal and State aid that was not earned for the term. Unearned aid funds must be returned to the appropriate programs. In this case, students may be required to repay a portion of their award for the term to DOE, the school, and/or other agencies.  Some examples of aid which fall under Federal or State categories are: Pell Grants, SEOG, NCELS, NCCCG, NC Reach, Federal TAP, and Direct Loans.

The return of funds are credited in the following order: Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, Subsidized Stafford Loans,  Federal PLUS Loans, Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, and other Title IV funds for which a return of funds is required.

Wilson Community College offers a variety of state and federal grants.  In order for the Financial Aid Department to evaluate eligibility, students must complete a current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  The FAFSA application can be completed online at or students can obtain a paper application in the Financial Aid Department.  Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as stated in the catalog to receive federal or state aid. Examples of such aid are Pell, NCCCG, ELS, FWS & Direct Loans. The grants offered through Wilson Community College include:


Federal Pell Grant awards range each school year as determined by Congress.  These awards generally do not have to be repaid. However, students who withdraw from all coursework prior to the 60% point of the term (as stated in the Academic Calendar) will typically owe a pro-rated amount of Pell (Title IV) to the Department of Education (DOE). Failure to repay an overpayment will result in loss of Title IV aid eligibility.

The College must calculate the amount of Title IV (Federal) aid that was not earned for the term. Unearned Title IV aid funds must be returned to the Title IV program. In this case, students may be required to repay a portion of their Pell award for the term to DOE and/or the school.

Pell disbursements are based on current hours for classes in approved program of study. Checks will be disbursed initially for those who are eligible and in attendance. Subsequent disbursements for adjusted amounts or for those students whose eligibility is verified during the semester will be made as soon as possible after verifying documentation has been received.

Students are limited to one course repeat if it is being taken to improve the grade.  In addition, enrollment in remedial/developmental coursework is limited to 30 credit hours. Courses taken outside the repeat & remedial limit will not be considered in the enrollment status for Grant disbursement. Awards will be prorated for enrollment status less than full-time if eligible according to the Federal Pell Grant Disbursement Schedule.

Pell checks are mailed once funds are posted to the account. The following is an estimated schedule for initial disbursements.

  • Fall Semester – September 18
  • Spring Semester – February 20
  • Summer Semester – June 19

Eligible students may receive a Pell Grant twice in an academic year if they are full-time both terms. If a student registers less than full-time in a given term, the remaining Pell eligibility can be used in the summer. For Wilson Community College, the Fall Semester is the beginning of a new financial aid academic year and requires a new FAFSA application.

**We advise all students to visit with a financial aid representative before withdrawing from any course. **


The 1999 North Carolina General Assembly allocated $5 million to provide need-based assistance for community college students. To be considered, students must have completed a current FAFSA application, be enrolled at least half-time and be a NC resident for tuition purposes.  Although these grants are typically a free type of assistance failing to complete the term may leave students owing a balance.


The North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship is similar to the NCCCG.  Eligibility is determined based on the current year FAFSA application, as well as student’s enrollment status. Withdrawing may leave students owing a balance.


Awards are based on financial need and academic promise. These grants are available to a limited number of students and eligibility is established by the Financial Aid Department.  Wilson Community College requires SEOG recipients to maintain a 2.7 or higher cumulative grade point average. SEOG grants do not generally have to be repaid.  However, if students withdraw prior to the 60% point of the term they may owe a prorated amount of their award to DOE and the college.

For additional information on these or any grants, please visit the Financial Aid Department located in Building F, or by telephone at 252-246-1417.

Wilson Community College students have the opportunity to work on-campus and earn money while attending our institution.  The Federal Work-Study program will open many new doors for its participants.  Students will gain real-world knowledge, job experience, hands-on skills and competitive pay.  For more information and current job openings, visit our Federal Work-Study webpage. For more information on the Federal Work Study Program, please stop by the Financial Aid Office in Building F, call 252-246-1417.

Wilson Community College offers the Child Care Assistance program to student-parents in order to contribute to their daycare expenses while enrolled at our institution.  We encourage all curriculum student-parents to complete this application.  The application will be available at the beginning of each Fall semester under Campus News, (

The Child Care Coordinator evaluates each individual applicant based on results from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (

For more information on Wilson Community College’s Child Care Assistance Program, call: 252-246-1274.

Federal regulations require all institutions of higher education to establish minimum standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) that students must meet in order to receive financial assistance from Title IV programs. Institutions are further required to establish a qualitative and quantitative measure SAP.

SAP standards apply to all federal (Title IV) and state awarded funds. In order to maintain eligibility, students must meet SAP standards adopted by the College based on guidelines set by the US Department of Education.

Once final grades have been posted at the end of each semester, an evaluation will be performed to determine the student’s SAP standing. To remain in good academic standing and to be eligible to receive financial aid, a student must meet the following conditions:

  1. Qualitative Satisfactory Academic Progress – Qualitative satisfactory academic progress for financial aid eligibility is determined by grade point average (GPA). WCC identifies two GPA measures – an academic GPA and a financial aid GPA. The difference between the two types of GPAs is:
    *The academic GPA does not include grades earned in developmental courses.
    *The financial aid GPA does include grades earned in developmental courses.
    NOTE: A student must maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA each semester
    ; otherwise, he or she will be placed on Financial Aid GPA Warning. During the semester of warning, the student will receive financial aid and must re-establish a 2.0 GPA by meeting the cumulative GPA requirement by the end of the semester of warning.If a student has not re-established the cumulative GPA requirement after one semester of warning, he or she will be placed on Financial Aid GPA Suspension and ALL forms of federal and state financial aid to the student will be suspended. Students will be notified when being placed on Financial Aid GPA Warning or Suspension
  2. Quantitative Satisfactory Academic Progress
    There are two methods of measuring quantitative SAP:
    Pace of Progression – 67% Rule – 
    A student must pass two-thirds or 67% of their cumulative attempted hours at the College each semester; otherwise he or she will be placed on Financial Aid SAP Warning. During the semester of warning, the student will receive financial aid and must re-establish SAP by meeting the 67% cumulative passing requirement.If a student has not reestablished SAP after one semester of warning, the student will be placed on Financial Aid SAP Suspension and ALL forms of federal and state financial aid to the student will be suspended. Students will be notified when being placed on Financial Aid SAP Warning or Suspension.Maximum Time Frame (MTF) – 150% Rule – Per federal mandate, a student will be allowed to receive financial assistance until the student has (a) attempted a maximum of 150% of the hours required to complete his/her chosen degree, diploma, or certificate OR (b) until the Financial Aid Office determines it is not mathematically possible for a student to complete his or her program within the MTF.The Financial Aid Office may review a student’s record at any time if they suspect that a student will not be able to complete their program within the time limit. A warning letter will be issued to a student upon attempting 120% of the hours required for their program. However, if it is not mathematically possible for a student to complete his or her program within the MTF, he or she will be placed on Financial Aid MTF Suspension and ALL forms of federal and state financial aid to the student will be suspended. Students will be notified when being placed on Financial Aid warning or MTF suspension.

Appeals: A student who would like to appeal their SAP suspension may see the Director of Financial Aid for a SAP appeal form.  Appeals can only be considered in the event of a mitigating circumstance which occurred during the term when the SAP standards were not met. A student should attach documentation to support their appeal.

Wilson Community College
902 Herring Avenue
Wilson, NC 27893
Attn: Financial Aid Department
Fax: (252) 246-1384